FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is NEW! Discover & Uncover (NEW!)?
NEW! Discover & Uncover is an online and on-air platform for developing artists (signed and unsigned) across 7 formats: Hit (Pop), Rock, Alternative, Country, Hip-Hop/R&B, Adult & Latin. Bottom line: NEW! is a hub for music discovery where radio audiences and music lovers alike are introduced to emerging artists and where unsigned artists can be discovered.
2. Where is NEW! featured?
NEW! is featured on 350+ participating Clear Channel radio station websites as well as iheartradio.com.
3. Why should I submit to NEW!?
By submitting to NEW! online, your music will reach radio audiences across the nation. Additionally, your music could possibly be played on the radio as well as on the NEW! Discover & Uncover digital radio channel.
4. What is NEW! Discover & Uncover radio?
NEW! Discover & Uncover radio is an expansion of the online NEW! program and iheartradio brand; a digital channel featuring music from developing artists (signed and unsigned) across several complimentary formats including Pop, Alternative, Rock, Urban, Adult and Country. The channel can be heard at iheartradio.com (keyword NEW), on the websites of hundreds of Clear Channel radio stations across the country and on the iPhone and BlackBerry via the iheartradio app (downloaded by several million users and growing!).
5. How do songs get chosen for NEW! Discover & Uncover radio?
We draw our music from NEW!. By submitting to NEW!, YOU now have the chance of being added to the channel.
6. If my song gets chosen for inclusion on the NEW! Discover & Uncover channel, how will I be notified?
If chosen, you will be notified via the email you sent upon submission. Emails will be sent from .
7. When will my music be played on-air (terrestrial)?
Terrestrial airplay is determined by each individual station. NEW! is featured on over 350 station sites and features many artists, signed and unsigned, that are played on radio. We suggest you and your fans promote your NEW! artist page and request that your songs be played on your local station!
8. I am not located in the United States. Can I still submit to NEW!?
At this time, we are unable to accept submissions from artists outside of the United States. We are working to improve this in the future.
1. How do artists get selected for the Artist to Watch section?
The Artists to Watch section of NEW! is highly coveted as we receive a large volume of submissions each month. It is dedicated to signed artists who are getting national air play and are being promoted on terrestrial radio.
2. How do artists get selected for the Recommended Artist section?
The Recommended Artist selections are chosen from the Artists to Watch section. Again, these are chosen by staff.
3. How do I become featured in the rotating banner at the top of the NEW! homepage?
We feature a number of unsigned artists in the rotating banner on the NEW! homepage. These selections are chosen by staff. If chosen, you will be notified via email.
1. What is the difference between music option ONE and TWO on the submission form?
If you choose music option ONE, your music will be considered for on-air play and made available for online AND on-demand streaming on 350+ radio station websites.
If you choose music option TWO, your music will be considered for on-air radio play and online streaming. This option does NOT allow on-demand streaming of your song.
2. When I submit my music to NEW!, is it automatically available for download?
No. Having your music available for download is optional. On the first page of the submission form, you will see 3 Music Submission options. By choosing the third option, you are agreeing to have all of the songs you upload (up to 5) available for download. If you do not check the box, then none of your songs will be available for download. Note: Once you choose this option ALL of your music will be available for download and this decision can't be reversed. Please choose wisely.
3. Will I be contacted when I'm added to NEW!?
Yes, you will receive a confirmation e-mail once your submission is reviewed and approved. Note: Please DO NOT try logging into your account until you receive this email.
4. How long do I have to wait for a confirmation email to NEW!?
All submissions are reviewed within 2 weeks of submission. During contests, there may be some delays due to the large volume of submissions.
5. I haven't received a confirmation e-mail. What's going on?
We may not have reviewed your submission yet. All submissions will receive either an e-mail confirmation or a disapproval email.
6. What does it mean if I get a disapproval email? Why wasn't my submission approved?
If you receive a disapproval email, it means your submission did not follow our approval guidelines. When considering music for NEW! we do not accept the following:
- Explicit content/lyrics/photos. Please edit out any explicit material before submitting your music and photo.
- Cover songs, remixes or samples. Please submit original material only. This includes instrumental covers.
- Songs with poor sound quality. This means the song sounds distorted (static, skipping, low volume) and we are unable to hear it clearly.
- Incomplete audio. This means that your song was either cut off or only played for a few seconds and we were unable to hear it fully.
- Anything that is not a song (commercials, PSA's, presidential speeches …we've heard it all).
7. Can I submit more than one song or photo?
At submission time, you can only submit one song and one photo-we suggest you choose your best! Once you have been approved and receive your confirmation email you can then upload up to 5 songs and additional photos.
8. How should my music be uploaded?
Please make sure your song is an MP3 under 8MB.
9. How should my photo be uploaded?
Please make sure your photo file has a .jpg, .gif, or .png extension and is under 100 KB.
10. Can I send my music via regular mail or email?
At this time, we only accept songs that are MP3's submitted via the NEW! submission form located here
. We do not accept snail mail or email attachments.
11. If I submit to NEW! on one of the radio station websites (i.e. Z100 in New York), will my profile appear on all 350+ radio stations that feature NEW!? If I submit to NEW! on iheartradio.com will my profile appear on all 350+ radio stations that feature NEW!?
YES! Therefore, there is no need to submit to multiple radio station websites. Once approved you will be able to search for your NEW! artist page across 350+ websites.
1. I want to update the songs on my profile page. Does that mean I will lose the plays that my older songs generated?
No, you will not lose any of those plays. On the right side of your profile page you will see your "Plays" count. That number is a combined total of all the plays you've accumulated from every song you've ever uploaded to your profile page.
2. How should my video be uploaded?
Please make sure your video file has .wmv extension and is under 10 MB.
3. How many videos can I upload?
You can upload up to 5 videos. Please make sure these videos do not contain profanities or any obscene visuals - videos are regularly screened and will be taken down where appropriate.
4. How do I delete my profile/account?
If you would like to have your profile/account deleted, please email us at with your artist name and song title. We will then notify you once your request has been made. Note: Please DO NOT resubmit until you receive notification from us that your request has been made!
5. How do I change my default picture?
You can change your default picture by logging in to your account and uploading a new one from the profile management "Artist Profile" screen where it says "edit default photo".
6. How do I change my password?
You can change your password by entering a new one from the profile management "Account" screen where it says "change password". You must confirm the new password by re-entering the new password on the "re-enter new password" field.
7. How do I change my username?
*****Once you create a username, it cannot be changed.
8. I forgot my password. What now?
If you have forgotten your password, please click on the "forgot password" link in the Unsigned Artist log-in box. Once you submit the appropriate information, a temporary password will be emailed to you. Please wait until you receive the email before attempting to log-in. If you'd like to change the password later on, please see question 6 (above).
9. I forgot my username. What now?
Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to provide users with their username. We are working to improve this in the future. If you have forgotten your username, you will have to request that your account be deleted and resubmit. We understand that this is an inconvenience and therefore advise you to keep track/write down your username as soon as you create it.
10. I am unable to log in to my account. It's been a while since I've updated my page and I don't remember setting up a username and password.
The reason you may be having trouble logging in to your account is that we've updated our program. If you were a member prior to November 2008 you DO NOT have a username or password. We've sent out numerous emails asking artists to opt in to the new version of our program. If you follow the instructions in that email, you will be able to create a username and password and log-in to your account. If you can't locate that email for any reason, you will have to request that your account be deleted. Then, you can resubmit. Apologies for the inconvenience at this time. Please make all requests here:
11. How do I find a specific unsigned artist page on NEW!?
On the bottom right of the NEW! homepage click on "see the full list". You'll be taken to another page that allows you to filter the artists to more quickly find who you are looking for.
12. Where do I report inappropriate content?
you can click on the flag and follow the instructions to report the content.
1. Why am I experiencing errors with the submission form?
When you fill out the submission form, please make sure your song is an MP3 under 8MB and your photo file has a .jpg, .gif, or .png extension and is under 100 KB. Errors will occur if you do not comply with these regulations. You must also fill out all required fields. Please type within these fields - Do not copy/paste from another document (I.E Microsoft Word) as that could cause errors as well.
2. Why does my song sound distorted? Why doesn't my song play?
The media uploaded doesn't follow our media encoding guidelines. See below for more information.
3. How should my MP3 file be encoded?
We recommend that audio submissions are MP3 files encoded at a 192 kbit/s constant bit rate with ID3v1.x tagging to ensure your submission has the best quality we can provide. To test if your MP3 file is encoded correctly, click here
. iTunes player is required to perform this test.
Note: We do not support MP3's that are encoded with VBR (variable bit rate).
4. When playing back my song on my NEW! profile page, why are there several seconds of silence at the beginning of the track?
The track you've submitted uses ID3v2 tag information. The use of ID3v2 tagging is not supported by our media server and will result in the extraneous information being played back as silence by Windows Media Player
5. Why am I having trouble uploading my photo?
The photo that you're trying to upload may be in the wrong format or the file may be too big. Please make sure your photo file has .jpg, .gif, or .png extension and is under 100 KB. Errors will occur if you do not comply with these regulations.
6. Why am I having trouble uploading my video?
The video that you're trying to upload is not in WMV format or the file is too big. Please make sure your video file has .wmv extension and is under 10 MB. Errors will occur if you do not comply with these regulations.
7. Why aren't my plays being counted?
A play is counted when your song is played in its entirety. Please note: It can take up to 6 minutes for our system to count a play. Once the song is played, refresh the browser to see the change.
Still having difficulties? Click here
If you have any further questions, please contact us at